how do you turn of a stopcock at the water meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i need to replace the interior stopcock, so need to be able to turn the mains off outside, but the house is on one of the new water meters, so hows it done.

Neal.

Sponsored Links
Neal, kneel on the ground and lower a half inch socket on a couple of extension bars - should fit the square shut off stem - well it does in Sussex - maybe your meter pits are different

the London one I worked on had a blue plastic T-handle to the side of the meter. This is removable so it could be missing. On these, it does not have a square shaft (but the pit was full of rainwater and mud, so I had to clean it out to see.)

Sponsored Links
First, clean out the pit, and see what sort of stop tap you have down there.
A large kitchen spoon (pound shop one?) firmly taped to a broom handle can save a lot of struggling if it's a deep pit full of mud.

There are many different forms of stop tap in use up and down the country. Some have a 'T' handle like an ordinary tap, some just have a square shaft, some require a hexagonal 'allen key' and some can be turned with a large screwdriver or tyre lever etc. etc.

Some need winding down several turns to close them, and others only require a 1/4 turn.

Modern stop taps are usually fitted with a foam 'frost plug' covering the meter, and a plastic key, which may be loose in the bottom of the pit. They are usually cleaner, and set shallower than older ones too.

As above, handles for older ones can often be created by borrowing bits from a socket set, or even a piece of square steel tube.

Where to get square tube? Your local recycling centre? It's used in all sorts of furniture - I think a piece I have was salvaged from an old bedstead.

A length of 2X2 timber with two screws in the end can help turn a 'T' handle that's just out of reach

Or buy a suitable stop tap key from a plumbers' merchant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back