How do you turn off the hot water supply in your house??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to do a bit of repair work on our shower but before I start I obviously need the hot and cold supplies turning off. Obviously the cold supply is easily turned off under the kitchen sink but I can't figure out how to turn off the hot supply.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any isolating valves on the shower water supplies else I'd just turn them off.

I've got a condensing combi boiler in the garage and a gledhill boilermate in the airing cupboard - no taps or anything though.

Can anyone suggest how I might turn off the hot water supply? Would I be best just to turn off the cold supply under the kitchen sink and turn on all the hot and cold taps until the pipes are empty and the gledhill boilermate tank in the airing cupboard is empty?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I believe you are correct in what you have said. With a combi - switch water off, switch boiler off and run taps until pipes empty.

If water stops running then you have your answer.

you say you have a combi

then you say you have a water store.

Is there a water tank in the loft as well, or is the hot water at mains pressure? if so, what happens to the hot taps when you turn of the water main stop cock?

Sponsored Links
ok. I've got a condensing combi boiler in the garage, a Gledhill BoilerMate OV in the airing cupboard and a small expansion tank in the loft.

I've not as yet turned off the cold mains tap under the kitchen sink. In previous houses I've owned in order to turn off the hot water there was a tap in the airing cupboard.

ok. I've got a condensing combi boiler in the garage, a Gledhill BoilerMate OV in the airing cupboard and a small expansion tank in the loft.

I've not as yet turned off the cold mains tap under the kitchen sink. In previous houses I've owned in order to turn off the hot water there was a tap in the airing cupboard.

you cant have a combi with a gledhill as they are thermal store. Your have a condensing boiler then a gledhill which will work off mains water. The small tank in the loft just tops up the thermal store which does your heating. Turn off your mains water and the water from your hot and cold taps should stop

Just cus you got a combi doesnt mean you cant have a heat store / boiler mate. It could be that the store is heated by the ch side of the combi and the hw side is feeding maybe just 1 tap.

I've heard some people refer to their heat-only or system boilers as a combi, on the basis that it does the heating and the hot water. The same as some people call their hot water cylinder 'the boiler'.

It may be worth checking this, to be sure.

Badboyhouse, how many 15mm pipes are directly attached to the condensing boiler?

Just cus you got a combi doesnt mean you cant have a heat store / boiler mate. It could be that the store is heated by the ch side of the combi and the hw side is feeding maybe just 1 tap.

Yes thats true you can do that. Iv'e also fitted a megaflow to a combi which i left to feed 1 tap in kitchen and the megaflow to feed the 2 bathrooms
( It just cost more to install and more on parts )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back