Hot Water Shut Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This weekend I am going to be replacing the hot and cold isolator valve under the kitchen sink for the sink tap.

I realised that I have no idea how to turn of the hot water supply in this house (recently moved in).
I have installed isolating valves (compression type) before on the hot water supply for taps in my old (small) house but that just had a combiboiler and was straightforward to turn of the hot water supply.

The new house has a cylinder in the airing cupboard, with another two much smaller cylinders above. I think this is called an 'unvented pressurised system'. There is no water tank in the loft.

The question I have is how do I turn off the water and possibly more importantly how do i turn it back on!
Both being off at the same time is fine I guess, though I would rather do one then the other.

The cold is directly connected to the main so thats straightforward but what about the hot water?
There is a stop-tap looking valve to the right of the cylinder which i am guess (but not sure) is either cold water in or hot water out.
That would likely be my first guess!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you have an unvented cylinder, turning the cold, incoming main off will also turn the hot off.
If you jhave spare new inserts why not use them although I doubt it would matter if the old ones were left in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back