Hot water shut off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it that when I turn my mains stop cock off, then shut off the cold water supply to my hot water cylinder that I still get a small amount of hot water coming through my hot taps.

I thought the above process was meant to isolate the hot water, even after two hours there was still hot water coming through the taps.

Mmm

Sponsored Links
Assuming you've a tank fed system, the gate valve from the cold storage tank is probably letting by. (They are prone to this after a while.) As the hot cylinder is fed from the tank you have the contents of this tank, (usually about 25 gallons) that is still getting (albeit now slowly) into the cylinder and thus to the hot taps.

to isolate the hot u only need to turn off the later. i can only guess that it does not close off fully , its normally a gate valve

Sponsored Links
OK cool, GV letting by, but if I need to work on my hot water pipes, this means that i will have to drain down the CWSC?

If I turn off the mains stop cock, then run the hot taps persumely this would be the best way of doing it? Its a massive tank, it could take a life time!!!

Running off the hot water is one way of draining the CWSC, but also costs you all your hot water in the process! If there is any cold outlets from the CWSC (e.g. mixer shower) then whilst it may take longer, it'll retain the cylinder contents and save energy having to reheat the water when you have finished.

As said, whilst the system is drained, it would be wise to replace the GV, either with another or a lever type valve which may have a longer lifespan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back