No stop cock for boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stopccock under my kitchen sink which turns off the cold water taps only, but not the hot water tap which comes from my 2 year old combiboiler. Am I right in thinking there must be a second stop cock somewhere that controls my hot water from combiboiler.

Sponsored Links
If it is a combi, then turning the cold water stop cock off will stop the hot water as well.
There may be a service valve under your boiler, but my floor standing oil combi hasn't got one underneath. What sort of boiler do you have?

Why do you wish to isolate the hot water? It won't help the problem you have with your filling loop. //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cannot-lower-pressure-on-boiler.434092/ If you don't turn your mains stop cock off (as advised in your other thread) then if your heating system springs a leak when the mains pressure rises overnight (before the relief valve opens) the water will not stop leaking and you will have a very large puddle inside your house. And if the relief valve does open then you will have a very large puddle outside your house.

I have a vokera compact 25 boiler. I need to find the stopcock which is feeding the feeding loop, turn it off and then bleed my radiators to relieve pressure (I think).

Sponsored Links
There isn't one!

Your filing loop will me on the cold main. It is a valve no one would put in a valve for a valve.

You will need to turn off the main drain the heating system and replace the filling loop. Or call someone to do it for you.

If your filling valve is leaking and correctly fitted with a double check valve then it will be possible to just replace the faulty valve by turning off the mains water supply into the house.

But that's only if the double check valve is still working correctly or at least without any serious leakage which cannot be managed.

You can reduce the system pressure by bleeding at any time but if the fill valve is leaking then obviously until it is replaced the pressure will continue to rise.

Tony

If your filling valve is leaking and correctly fitted with a double check valve then it will be possible to just replace the faulty valve by turning off the mains water supply into the house.

But that's only if the double check valve is still working correctly or at least without any serious leakage which cannot be managed.

You can reduce the system pressure by bleeding at any time but if the fill valve is leaking then obviously until it is replaced the pressure will continue to rise.

Tony

Thankyou folks, I have found mains stopcock, it was at almost at ceiling height next to old water tank. Have relieved pressure and taken off broken feeding loop. I will only attempt to replace the broken valve in the loop with the help of some PTFE tape.

If indeed the double check valve is broken (at moment I am hoping only the feed valve is broken) how would I know?? Can I test it easily?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back