How do you work out Max Demand on a property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When filling in a Electrical insulation cert ,You have to work out the max demand I have read the on site guide but do not understand it to well has any one got any simple ways to do it or any where else I can look

Sponsored Links
Look up "Diversity" in the On Site Guide.

It does explain how you can work out estimated max demand.

Do note that the title of the book includes the word GUIDE ;)

I was told by my NIC assessor that to calculate Maximum Demand you simply total up the rated current of each protective device and the maximum demand is 40% of the total.

Sponsored Links
The OSG provides a good starting point at the design stage but is over the top for assessing in service max. demand.

The 40% 'rule of thumb' is a better guide for an in service domestic installation.

At the end of the day, there is no magic formula. For example, one large ring or two smaller rings both with the same overall total of sockets in the same locations for the same purposes - same demand or different?

If a property doesn't have 'wet' central heating, the chances are that the sockets will take a hammering from plug in electric heaters. Therefore it's not wise to apply the 40% rule of thumb if there is only one socket final circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back