How easy is solder ring plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had no luck with stopping compression joints leaking, i was wondering what people think of solder ring joints?

How easy are they to use? - i've had mixed reports!

Is this the easiest way to plumb the water for my new bathroom?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It needs a little practice, like everything else, but the easiest is push-fit joints.

Personally I find the simple cheap end feed solder fittings the easiest. Just remember to clean the pipe ends well and use a flux. Also heat the pipe and fitting over the entire fitting, not just the bit you are soldering. Capillary action will cause the solder to be 'sucked-in' to the fitting due to the solder's very high surface tension.

joe (not a plumber but done loads of pipework - none leaking)

chris_love said:
Having had no luck with stopping compression joints leaking,

I rarely find they leak. Sometimes they weep after a few months on a heating system but you just give them quick twitch.

They DO leak when;

• Someone is a brute and overtightens them in the first place so the pipe gets kinked.
    Someone forgets to use some boss white or equiv.
    Someone forgets to actually tighten the nut when distracted by something else :oops:

Sponsored Links
htgeng said:
They DO leak when;

• Someone is a brute and overtightens them in the first place so the pipe gets kinked.

I don't agree with this htgent; I'm sure there are brutes out there, but (a) in some circumstances crimping the pipe is an advantage, and (b) a kink is not, on its own, a cause of leaks.

Soldering is fairly easy with a bit of practice. Get yourself some scrap pipe and play a bit till your happy. Buy your fittings in bulk from you local plumb shop, its much cheaper. You will normally get 25 for about £3. Individually they will be about 40-50p each. Don't buy from DIY stores as they will be over priced.

Make sure the pipe and the fitting is cleaned well with wire wool until nice and shiney. Remove the bur from the inside of the pipe where the pipe has been cut.

Flux the pipe (on the outside) and once pushed inside the fitting rotate it to move the flux through the whole of the joint. Don't over flux or your joints may fail.

I always use this flux http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/166-1898?PHPSESSID=68c5630c3e7e180e4c2200e7878b46f8

Heat the fitting between the two solder rings, normally from beneath the joint, you will then see a small silver or grey ring of solder appear out of the end of the fitting within a few seconds, it will be the width of a piece of cotton not really thick. Give a little heat to the pipe just passed the joint until you see a complete ring of solder, then no more heat.

Wait for the solder to go off a little then dab your brush in a little flux and wipe it around the joint. This will give a nice neat finish. Once cool get a damp rag and clean the outside of the joint to remove the flux, otherwise you will have nice green pipes.

Don't forget to flush your pipes though after to remove any flux and debris. ;) Happy soldering.

The main thing with soldering is, clean the pipe & the inside of the fitting & the big mistake is making it to hot.
Just practice its a bit like your first kiss subsequent ones are better. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back