Solder Ring Fitting, Solder Ring did not appear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used a solder ring for the first time... have only used end feed and compression before. Had to make a join where I didn't think I would fit the solder round the back so thought I'd try the solder ring. One side made a nice little ring, in fact it was so easy I probably wouldn't have bothered ever learning to make end feed joins if I had known how easy it was :)

Or so I thought at first, because on the other side, no solder ring appeared! I kept the torch on it for another minute directed at that side, but the pipes started going red and there was still no solder ring so I gave it in.

Since I'm not going to be able to put water in this pipe for quite a while yet, when I do, do you think it's going to leak?

P.S. The end which had no solder ring appear was old pipe, it was quite stiff to push the connector onto, a fair bit stiffer than the new tube, maybe that has something to do with it?

Sponsored Links
Thats the million dollar question mate...always flux the joint after cleaning it, and have some extra solder standing by, ready dipped in flux just to guard against it happening again.
John :)

I kept the torch on it for another minute directed at that side, but the pipes started going red and there was still no solder ring so I gave it in.
From what you say I wouldn't want to trust that joint, best to dismantle it and start again.

Thats the million dollar question mate...always flux the joint after cleaning it, and have some extra solder standing by, ready dipped in flux just to guard against it happening again.

Good advice that... the benefit of hindsight and received wisdom :D

Sponsored Links
I kept the torch on it for another minute directed at that side, but the pipes started going red and there was still no solder ring so I gave it in.
From what you say I wouldn't want to trust that joint, best to dismantle it and start again.

Will it be OK to just heat it up, pull it apart and put another one on? I can't cut it any shorter and will have to pull even more pipes out if it isn't

Yep, good gloves, don't overheat and twist as you try to separate it.
With luck the new joint will go straight on with a little heat persuasion.

P.S. The end which had no solder ring appear was old pipe, it was quite stiff to push the connector onto, a fair bit stiffer than the new tube, maybe that has something to do with it?

did you solder both sides at the same time or try and do one side first?

did you solder both sides at the same time or try and do one side first?

Both at same time.

Didn't have another solder ring so I used an end feed one and just melted loads of solder on it until it dribbled into the bit where I couldn't fit the solder wire then used 2 mirrors and a torch to check it's gone round the whole of the lip... and it has... looks a right mess too :LOL: The excess solder that ran down the back pooled at the bottom and made a mini dome shape. Do you think that will work? I've never made a messy join like that before, is too much solder a bad thing (pipe won't be visible so it doesn't matter aesthetically).

It'll be fine...just flush the pipework out before connecting it up to whatever appliance. (Especially vital if its a boiler or shower!).

May as well use endfeed in the first place then.

Good luck with your project!
What are you doing, anyway?

Making a mess...

Trying to fit a new bathroom. Didn't plan on doing it DIY but the guy I hired to do it made a mess of it, I mean he did do it, and I didn't tell him no I don't want those pipes laid all over the walls, I'd like the close-coupled toilet to sit against the wall not float in the middle of the room, I'd like the tiles cut round the obstacles rather than shoving a load of tile grout around them until it's level with the other tiles so you don't have to cut any tiles, the plasterwork on the ceiling should be flat not look like the swiss alps, etc, etc, so I can't really complain, he did do it after all, he just did it as fast as possible without any regard for how it would look when finished.

Can't afford to pay another bloke to do it all and it would be hard to make it any worse :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back