Newby soldering question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I'm in the middle of renovating my girlfriends house - I'm halfway through the bathroom and I'm about to replace a radiator (which will involve moving pipes) and I will be replacing the toilet, the bath and the sink.....which will inevitably involve moving pipes......I'll then be moving onto the kitchen.

I'm pretty competent with compression fittings but I appreciate that a soldered joint will be more robust/last longer- especially if its going under a floorboard or behind a wall.

My question is, given that I'm about to spend £60 odd quid on a blow torch, pipe deburrer, heat mat, flux etc........If I were to use solder ring fittings, would I need to buy a roll of solder as well?

As it looks like solder alone will increase my spend by at least another £25 - and after doing some research, Solder ring fittings don't seem to be that much more expensive than end feed fittings (Wickes 15 pack of 15mm solder ring elbows £3.22) - I'm wondering if I should bother buying solder as well - given that I'll probably only use it for the bathroom and the kitchen and then probably never use it again.

......I guess its all down to how often you need to add more solder to a solder ring joint?......or whether end feed fitting are much better (I can't see the saving being outweighed by the additional cost of solder though).

Sponsored Links
I think its always a good idea to have a reel of solder standing by...the cleaned end of which is conveniently dipped in flux.
In an ideal situation extra solder isn't needed on solder ring fittings but a tiniest dab of the stuff will help the solder to flow under capilliary action.
Whatever you choose to do, some practise first always pays dividends!
John :)

Better to buy the end feed fittings and a roll of solder.
A little more tricky but worth it.

Sponsored Links
Yeah......I think I will go for end feed - I think it'll give me more confidence that the joint is ok.

I'll definitely do some practicing - I'll have to make up the pipes to the radiators before I attach them anyway, so I can have a go and have a good look before I attach it.

Cheers guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back