My first soldering attempt

Everyone should practice on endfeed fittings and thereby learn the value of heating the fitting, not the pipe! Trick is to ensure that ALL of the joint is above solder melt-point, not just a narrow ring at the end.

Sponsored Links
croydoncorgi said:
Everyone should practice on endfeed fittings and thereby learn the value of heating the fitting, not the pipe! Trick is to ensure that ALL of the joint is above solder melt-point, not just a narrow ring at the end.

CC, what torch and gas are you using? I wouldn't be without my rothy and mapp combo. I could never use one of those old fashioned torch on a string setups! ;)

My god, I sympathise, fitted an outside tap today (doubled checked of course) soldering the f'ing joints up though :eek: I'd be bankcrupt if i was ever to try plumbing, the amount of solder I used :eek: :eek: :eek:

htgeng said:
I wouldn't be without my rothy and mapp combo

I know mapp gas burns hotter,? but hasn't it been linked to cancer? :eek:
I think I'll stick to my blue bottle of propane.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! :D

In answer to some of the questions:

My blowtorch is a Taymar, with the detachable can of gas. Comes as a pack in diy stores.

I gave the pipe a GOOD smear of flux, and wiped away all traces of it once the elbow joint was in place (so none left outside the joint). Then applied the heat to the JOINT (not the pipes - being an elbow with 2 pipes into it, it was easier to heat the joint)

I must admit I certainly didn't turn the torch on full. I was a little timid I think. I think this may have been my problem.

As for the smoke - yes I believe it was smoke, not steam. One of the pipes which came out of the joint was about 18 inches long. By the time I saw the solder ring that pipe was REALLY HOT ! :eek:

I stopped applying the heat the second I saw something silver appear. I then saw more solder appear after I remove the heat.

I installed the pipe and - touch wood - no leaks yet!

I may practice on some spare pipe and joints so that I get better at it.

By the way - how far away from the joint should I hold the torch, and how far behind the joint should the heat mat be? Does the mat help the soldering process or is it there just to stop the my workbench catching fire?

Thanks again guys!

Hottest bit of the flame is just beyond the inner "cone". Move it around to spread the heat.
Trouble with my old Taymar (which I put my heating in with 20 odd years ago) was that they flare when tipped forwards, and take ages to go out when you shut the valve, which is dangerous.

Just for a trial make some joints , far too hot, then saw and tear them apart. Then you know what you're trying to avoid.

Depends on the flux but generally you should start adding solder about when the flux starts to boil. If you let the flux boil away you'll get a leak. If you let it burn black you'll have to clean it again.

Even with a little endfeed elbow, do one joint at a time.

Do the top one first, if there is one, because if you start at the bottom the top one will overheat before you get there with your solder. Less important on solder-ring type.

ChrisR said:
Depends on the flux but generally you should start adding solder about when the flux starts to boil. If you let the flux boil away you'll get a leak. If you let it burn black you'll have to clean it again.

I'm using the solder-ring type joints, so it applies the solder itself.

Should you wipe all visible traces of flux away from the pipe before you apply the heat, so that the only flux on the pipe is inside the joint?
Was I right to do this?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back