A silly soldering question..........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing the layout of some copper pipes. I've cut into an existing pipe and have prepared the various joints, applied flux to the bits (I'm using solder ring fittings) and just have a couple more bits to do before I can get the flame lit and start soldering the joints.

My question is how long can I leave the pipework assembled like this, or if I've left it as long as I have (I got interrupted so it's been a couple of hours), should I take it all apart again, clean it and start again?

Another question; if I'm soldering in a joint to an existing pipe, how far along the pipe should the next joint be before I have to worry about damaging it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
JDLDIY said:
My question is how long can I leave the pipework assembled like this, or if I've left it as long as I have (I got interrupted so it's been a couple of hours), should I take it all apart again, clean it and start again?
Couple of hours won't be a problem. Days might be because you'll dust and crud sticking to the flux.

Another question; if I'm soldering in a joint to an existing pipe, how far along the pipe should the next joint be before I have to worry about damaging it?
Wrap a wet towel around the completed joint, use an accurate flame and just don't apply heat for longer than you need to.

Thanks Softus, put my mind at rest and I'm about to get underway now which should mean the missus can have a bath in the morning!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back