length of soldering time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

im changing two 22mm water pipes over to an opposite wall. once I've joined the pipes with fittings and flux how long can I leave it before I solder and if where im soldering one joint the heat from the pipe starts to melt the flux on another joint will it still be ok to carry on and solder the next one. im asking this as I've never soldered more than two fittings on a run of pipe whereas this will have perhaps five and I was hoping to fit it all first and then just go ahead and solder them all.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't leave more than 10-15 minutes between fluxing and soldering, as the flux will start greening up.

Assemble first then flux and reassemble, assuming you can remember what goes where! Remember to never part-solder a fitting, do all ends at once.

ok thanks but what about the next fitting which might only be 6 inches away and the flux has started melting. would you carry on or would you reapply flux

Sponsored Links
ok thanks but what about the next fitting which might only be 6 inches away and the flux has started melting. would you carry on or would you reapply flux

Ok so long as you use end feed fittings and not Yorkshire (solder ring). Don't forget that a 22mm pipe takes a bit longer than a 15mm pipe. A small mirror is handy for checking behind the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back