End feed Soldering question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When soldering after putting a thin layer of flux on pipe and then pushing into fitting with a twist do you guys wipe the excess flux off with a damp cloth or not. I find the solder flows into the joint better with some flux on the edge of the joint. If I wipe the joint prior to using the torch I sometimes find that I can get the joint hot enough but the solder doesn't flow into the joint easily it sort of conjeeals on the edge. Any thoughts on this?

Victor

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think that is the problem I'm having by wiping the flux off with wet rag you lose the bit of flux at edge which allows it to flow into fitting. I'm trying to improve my soldering, I always put a little half inch bend in solder so I know I've fed right amount in but sometimes find I still get snot at bottom of fitting, think I need to watch solder flow more round joint as I feed it in and possibly my half inch bend is more than half inch.

Victor

When the joint is finished, give it 30 secs to go off then use a damp clean cloth. Rinse the cloth regularly, otherwise you will transfer the flux onto the next joint and it will go green over time.

Thanks Rob, I've been waiting till the solder dulls before wiping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back