Stop Tap Washer Question (And soldering wet pipes story)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After practising 20 times at soldering joints I got OK at it (20 for 20, no leaks or even a drip of solder). I'm OK at this DIY plumbing, better than the guides said a journeyman would be, clever enough now to ignore the advice I read on this forum not to solder wet pipes.

Wrong.

There wasn't much of a water flow, just a trickle. The flux ran away into the joint as soon as it got hot, like solder does on dry pipes, the solder solidified almost immediately and wouldn't flow into the joints, it took ages and looked a mess. I did manage do bodge almost all of it, except the bottom where the solder would solidify and blob off instantly instead of going into the joint, even with my torch on full burn (it was only a DIY torch, maybe you'd get away with it with a hotter one).

The water is still flowing a little as none of the three taps (property border, internal stop tap and another internal tap as an isolation tap) work fully. They do work well enough to stop water to all the taps except the last isolation tap, which branches off at the lowest level, so I want to try and re-pack the washer on the isolation stop tap so I can de-bodge my wet pipe lesson and re-do it properly. 2 questions for real plumbers/better DIYers:

Can I repack the washer with a very slight trickle going through the stop tap (2 stop taps before it reduce to minor trickle, the last stop tap which I want to repack is almost completely failed)? I could freeze it, but I'm poor. don't mind getting a little damp and would prefer to use a bucket if it won't screw up repacking the washer.

It's hard to get off and I'm not a weakling (the nut is beginning to strip with a correctly sized spanner). Does all the advice on this thread apply to stop taps too and is there any other hints to add? It's on a very short and awkward to access run of pipe that would have to be replaced too so I'd prefer not to take it out unless I must.

Sponsored Links
Can I repack the washer with a very slight trickle going through the stop tap (2 stop taps before it reduce to minor trickle, the last stop tap which I want to repack is almost completely failed)? I could freeze it, but I'm poor. don't mind getting a little damp and would prefer to use a bucket if it won't screw up repacking the washer.

this trickle you get is this pipe mains fed or tank ?

Sponsored Links
this trickle you get is this pipe mains fed or tank ?

it's mains fed, i can reduce it to fast flowing drips by applying a vacuum to another part of the system which is left open but can't stop it completely. as said i do have pipe freeze which i can use if i have to, but it's a big waste of money if the only problem with doing it with a bit of water in would be getting wet (and it won't go wrong like trying to solder the pipes without a vacuum or anything did).

3 taps and not a descent one out the lot
hummm.gif

you'll have fun freezing flowing water.

as you say just change it as it is if you don't mind abit of water.

Don't be scared of a few drips many a plumber has swaped stoptaps with full flow.

Very straight forward, replace stoptap and then solder nice dry pipe.

Had hoped the freezing would work if I cut the end of the pipe and put a compression blanking nut on it?

Would have loved to be all wet by now but it's not to be and I will have to replace that stop tap completely (which means redoing most of the connections for the property as they all branch off so close next to it they would have to come off too). I've hit it, blowtorched it, yelled at it and it still won't come off so, as being a big girl is the better part of valour I'm just blanking the tap it feeds off and standing down until I can get the water company to fix their one (then I can safely play with the others and not have to call an emergency plumber if it all goes pear-shaped).

That's right isn't it? They have to fix the one that's their responsibility? And seeing as there's no swimming pool or anything else creating a big usage here, they can't make me have a water meter can they?

The water supplier won't be in any hurry to replace their stop tap - expect 4 to 6 weeks delay.

What about changing the dodgy soldered fitting for a compression fitting?

The water supplier won't be in any hurry to replace their stop tap - expect 4 to 6 weeks delay.

What about changing the dodgy soldered fitting for a compression fitting?

That tap can stay off for 6 weeks, it's not used much. Would have hoped they'd just change the washer - other than not fully stopping the flow it's a good stop tap they put there. Must be several decades old and doesn't stick at all, shows no signs of corrosion, not to mention all the lead they'll probably put in the water if they go hacking at the lead pipes to put a new one in...

They could be changed for compression fittings, but the isolation tap still needs fixing and when it is changed that whole bit of pipe will have to be re-run. Doesn't seem worth re-running it twice (I'd have to re-run it to replace dodgy soldering too) when the tap doesn't matter and the pipework is so awkward there. I just cut it off and put on a blanking nut for now.

Thanks for the good ideas.

If anyone has ideas for managing to get that stop tap apart I'd still be thrilled to have them. Re-doing all those connections in such a tight space is going to be painful.

Did go back and do this, couldn't get the stop tap apart but managed to slow the water down enough to solder it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back