Internal Stop Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently my internal stop tap isn't working. When it's fully closed it hardly reduces the flow of water. I'm be been told it's likely that the washer had gone.

Where would you get a replacement washer from and would I just ask for a 15mn stop tap washer? Any tips for doing the repair?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cheers,
Paul

Sponsored Links
It'll have a loose jumper type washer in it. Half inch. Do it quickly with a tub under it once you've isolated the water from the external stopcock and you'll be fine

Thanks. I'll try and get one of those washers tomorrow from the local plumbers merchants. I'll let you know how I get on.

You may also want the fibre washer that seals the valve headwork to the tap body. Go to a proper merchant and show them the photograph. Or cut in a new tap above the existing one.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. Good point there, I'll ask for one of those washers too!

There's not a lot of room above and if possible I'd like to avoid replacing the whole stop tap and drain point.

Lot less hassle to isolate outside and replace the tap - for all it costs - and just reuse the drain point.
Perhaps I should do that. One of my hesitations was how do the drain point connects to the stop tap? I'd have expected to see a short bit of pipe and them both to have compression fittings.

Also if I replace the stop tap would I just be to remove the old olive on the lower pipe carefully with a junior hacksaw?

Cheers!

You need to clear away the residue around the tap and fittings so it is clear how it fits. It seems the drain has a compression end on top and a spigot/solder end on bottom. Replacement stop tap will have the same compression ends as the one you are removing, just replace the nuts and olives.

Yes, either or hacksaw and a medium plain screwdriver, cut across the centre of the olive till you just see copper, screwdriver in and twist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back