Lead tap not closing ... and stop tap ineffective - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ancient lead tap external to my property. I'm looking to replace this. The stop tap in the house doesn't isolate this as it's on a different feed.

I had the water supplier (Yorkshire) come out a couple of weeks ago to locate the stop tap for this ... which is around 200 metres away on the main road and feeds 6 properties. Looks like when this tap was put in, it was just taken straight from the mains. However, this stop tap needs repaired as it's not working and around 50+ years old.

Anyway - my lead tap is now leaking quite a bit as it looks like the washer inside has gone)

. Is there anything a plumber would be able to do to stop the leak /replace it (freezing?) before the two week wait for the stop tap to be fixed?

Sponsored Links
If the inside washer has gone, you may not be able to close it and it will allow water to pass. But it won't cause a leak!
If it's leaking, Is it not coming from the valve spindle.
If it is then, then you could try tightening the gland nut a little.
Or undo the gland nut and wrap some ptfe tape under the nut and retighten.
I think it wise to wait the two weeks and have more time to do a better job.

Tip You might like to consider using a rubber disc and two pence piece and a clamp to seal the valve up while you carry out repairs, so you only have water off for a few minutes.

Ah cheers. I probably should have been a little more specific. I've tried closing the tap and the leak is coming from the end of the tap - not around the valve spindle.

In the meantime I'm hassling yorkshire water as it's probably dumping around 10 litres of water an hour .... (now hooked to a hose pointing at a drain!)

If the inside washer has gone, you may not be able to close it and it will allow water to pass. But it won't cause a leak!
If it's leaking, Is it not coming from the valve spindle.
If it is then, then you could try tightening the gland nut a little.
Or undo the gland nut and wrap some ptfe tape under the nut and retighten.
I think it wise to wait the two weeks and have more time to do a better job.

Tip You might like to consider using a rubber disc and two pence piece and a clamp to seal the valve up while you carry out repairs, so you only have water off for a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
What I would do is hit the lead pipe with a large hammer and squash the lead pipe. Doing this before the stopcock. Once the lead is squashed and not flowing, I would Freeze the pipe work and fit a new stopcock.

Phone around and a get a plumber who has a freeze machine.

(You could also have a new mains put in.)

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back