Lead mains stop tap not shutting off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a stop tap on a 3/4lb lead mains that will not shut off and I need to replace a broken set of bathroom taps. There is no other means of shutting the water supply to the house (no stop tap in the road etc). Any suggestions on a way to isolate it or changing it while it is live. I am pretty sure the water pressure is too high to try and freeze it and being lead can be pretty thick. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The water authority have the gear to find your outside stopcock - and they'll also give it a twist with the toby key to see if its free. Its very useful to know where it is - in situations like yours, particularly! John :)

I do have an outside stop tap in the garden but that unfortunately is the one that will not shut off? Other than that there isnt one anywhere outside the boundry that I can locate and I have tried the propertys either side and their stop taps do not affect my water. I am at a loose as to why there is not a stop tap on the pavement outside or anywhere else but I suppose I have to live with the one that I have. Will the waterboard have access to a main stop tap maybe for the street or row of house's?? and if so how difficult would it be to arrange for them to turn it off at a time convenient to myself to do the repair??

Sponsored Links
Unless I'm totally wrong (which is more than likely) the water authority's stopcock is just the quarter turn type which usually move after a bit of heaving. Is yours the usual rubber washered stopcock in your garden?
Up here the water company are really good about finding stopcocks, fixing or installing them - it could be worth you giving yours a ring to see whats on offer. Often these things are buried in grass verges, under tarmac etc. The gear they have to trace them and the route of the pipe is well impressive. Cheers John :)

Thanks for all your advice, I will contact the local water board and see if they can enlighten me in any way. Failing that I guess I am just gonna have to put on my wet suite and go for it ??

The stopcock in the garden is the outside one.

It will have either a crutch head or square head, unless you're on a meter.

You can buy a key if you know the type, maybe a pic looking down the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back