external lead pipe and broken stop tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just recently moved into an old property and have two plumbing issues that im hoping to tackle but need some advice.

First is the stop valve under the sink, the head is missing from the tap and as a result the tap is unuseable and i cant turn it on or off without using pliers. Im considering turning the water off using the mains tap outside the front door and replacing the broken valve, however im a little wary of cutting through the old lead pipe. Would you suggest i leave well alone or fit a new stop tap above the old one on the 15mm copper pipe ?? or something else ?? and can i just turn the water off outside or do i speak to the local water board ??

second is i have an old lead pipe sticking out of the flower bed that has been capped off with some sort of plastic stop end. The pipe sticks out of the ground by about 8 inches. I had though about fitting this lead pipe with an outside tap so i can water the garden, again my concern is tackling the lead pipe. I was worried that this pipe may freeze in the winter and cause me some real problems. I had considered putting it back under the soil and leaving it well alone !!! should the pipe be insulated at all ??

any advice or suggestions welcomed....

thanks

Sponsored Links
If it was me I would be looking to loose all the lead piping..... Ok this can be ardous on the digging etc ....

As long as your just isolating your property from the water main I can't see "Mr Waterboard" getting upset .......... Unless somone bubbles ya & they come round for a sticky beak ....... Then they will moan ...... What about you ask ? ...... Freakin anything & everything :LOL:

. Would you suggest i leave well alone or fit a new stop tap above the old one on the 15mm copper pipe ?

Seems the easiest option but you would be better replacing the lead piping.

Your other pipe should really be attended to as it will probably burst in time to come. :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back