Replacing Lead Supply Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House mains supply is a lead pipe that terminates in the kitchen at a very old stop tap which has caused numerous problems over the last couple of years (stuck solid, didn't completely shut the water off, frequently dripping.) although at the moment after a lot of TLC it is working.

An added complication is that the external stop tap has been buried under a marble paved driveway (previous owner.)

I'm about to replace the kitchen including new flooring and have a feeling it would be a false economy not to permanently fix the issue now.

Was considering either

1. Replacing the entire lead pipe to the boundary re-instating the external stop tap on the way through.
  2. Fitting something like a leadloc to the pipe where it enters the property (comes in under the front door and Kitchen is at the rear) and then replace the pipe to the internal stop tap and the tap itself.
Would welcome any opinions or alternative suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Damon

Sponsored Links
I'd check who's responsible for what with your supplier 1st of all. Take it from there.

Ideally you would replace all the lead with 25>32mm MDPE - Plasson provide lead adapters for their couplings which are rated for underground.
I don't think lead loc are given it's brass compression.

Thanks Rob, have spoken to the essex and suffolk water and they only go so far as the external stop tap which judging by everyone elses in the road is about 500mm into the boundary. Not surprisingly they didn't seem impressed that it's inaccessible.

They did say if I lay a new pipe to the boundary (and let them inspect) they'll happily connect it to the mains. They also said there are companies around who are authorised to lay the pipe and make the connection (and they can usually do it without a trench, but aren't allowed to recommend anyone.

Sponsored Links
They should give you the names of all the approved contractors to let you choose.

They sometimes have a lead replacement program where they make a new connection to the main free if you replace all the lead pipe in your property.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back