Lead pipe replacement

8 Jun 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Just applied and been accepted to the lead replacement scheme. Just have a couple of questions before I start work.

1. I have a stop tap 750mm below ground in our garden. Our branch pipe joins the shared supply pipe outside the boundary. Will I be able to put a new stop tap in the garden using the MDPE or will it not be necessary as one will be installed by United Utilities outside our boundary?

2. The fact sheet says the internal stop tap and drain off valve must be “as close to the point where the pipe enters the building as possible.” We have suspended wooden floors. Would it be OK to have the stop tap in the kitchen at the back of the house (pipe enters building from front) with the insulated MDPE passing under the floorboards?
Sponsored Links
It varies by area, the guy doing it & how he feels on the day. So it's probably best to phone them, as a start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links