Replacing lead with MDPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Half way through some renovation works and my next job is to replace the lead water supply.

For a couple of reasons I can't dig up the front garden yet, so for now my plan is cut the lead pipe where it enters the property and fit a lead to MDPE coupler, then run about 10m of 25mm MDPE under the raised floor to a brass reducing stop cock ready for 22mm PEX.

Should I have concerns that there will be around 10m of pipe in the house before the stop cock?

Is MDPE pointless, should I / can I just got straight to 22mm PEX from the lead pipe?

I could shorten the run before the stop cock by putting it into the attached garage, but that would mean a short length of pipe and the stop cock itself was exposed in an unheated garage (but actually near where the boiler is going to go). Is that option worth considering?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you contact your water provider in the first instance and see what they will require before they will connect your new pipe to their supply. Many operate free or subsidised lead pipe replacement schemes. In my area, I don't think they liked joins between their stoptap and yours, but are happy with insulated and sleeved mdpe under suspended floors.

Last edited:
Thanks, will try them - hopefully they are offering something. Just needed to get water back into the house for now and was hoping to do useful work rather than something which needed to be undone later on.

Also wife just informed me she had full intended to move the gas meter so it turns out there might be a large trench being dug to the front of the house anyway! Which in case this will just be a temporary fix until i can replace the full length of lead.

Will try the water company and see what they can offer!

Sponsored Links
When my mate had trouble the water board/co used a mole and dug about three pits to run a pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back