Lead mains water pipe query

Is it definitely lead pipe under your garden? could i already be MDPE, or something that the water companiy's free scheme does not cover, like iron pipe?

Sponsored Links
Must admit I thought it was a bit steep but I gather he likely to be the cheaper of the two contractors!

Yes, the subsurface is soil. The garden is a mess and can pretty much be destroyed and there is about two feet of a concrete path near the front door that will have to be removed but again no care has to be taken here.

I suggested a groundsman to the water company guy but he thought this was a bad idea as they are unlikely to be insured if something goes wrong (I think he means hitting a gas pipe). He also advised that plumbers would also be more expensive option.

The standard trace wire is part of the water board connection requirements. The pipe will run under the floorboards of three rooms so is in an unheated space.

It's a 1920's house but will try to look for a conduit.

They are replacing the existing pipe work as the wrong pipe has been used.

The water company are doing the street side lead replacement for free so I do not have to pay for this.

So probably looking at £70 - £100 worth of trace heating maybe more by the time they have wrapped the pipe, plus insulation £30?. Still doesn't account for extra price when compared to my installation.
Plus my contractor and to cut a trench through the concrete drive at the corner of the house and reinstate with four bags of cement and ballast, £30?
Plus when I mentioned the neighbor that recommended him, the contractor gave the chap £20 commission without even blinking.

It was only one year ago. They were here at 9:30, gone at 4:30, two blokes. 5 cups of tea each, it is worth supplying lots of tea!

Perhaps your mole contractor has a super duper mole?

The neighbors who did their own pipe connection almost hit their gas main with the minidigger(long drive 20 odd meters, minidigger for one day only) and only missed it because my Dad jumped in to stop them. It wasn't hard to see where the gas pipe was, exactly where my Dad predicted, but it is easy to get carried away with a minidigger.
Their diy job cost a 25m roll of mdpe, minidigger for the day, 2 bulk bags of sand to surround the pipe, roll of marking tape and enough concrete delivered to reinstate the driveway surface. They used a 10inch angle grinder and SDS chisel to get through the drive way.

The contractor who moled mine was also a time served plumber, but has shifted his business to moleing instead.

I would bet regular plumbers aren't interested in digging trenches, or managing those who dig, and will happily connect the pipework and notify after you have dug and had it inspected. Might be worth a few quotes from those without a vested interested in using a mole!
I think the difficultly would be timing the inspection and the plumbers visit to coincide on the same day. Although since it is a quick job, it might be the kind of thing a plumber can do on the way home from his main job.
You would also have to find something to cover the trench with until the inspector arrives.

One other thing, the contractor used narrow bore pipe through the wall of the house and internally, after the stop cock, which restricted the flow rate, so I swapped it to the 25mm MDPE, and now I don't end up with cold shower when somebody pulls the toilet flush!

Sponsored Links
I have not heard of a requirement for a trace wire heater under floors before but not a bad idea!

Wrong pipe?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back