Leaking lead lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of advice please...

I've fitted a lead lock and a new internal stop tap in an old, empty shop. It was a pain because the outside stop tap doesn't work, so I had to freeze the lead pipe. The other problem was that the lead pipe only sticks out from the concrete floor/brick wall a few inches.

I got the (7lb) lead lock on and tightened it up, but it still drips. I tried some of that clear gel (LSX?) but the dripping water pushes it off.

What should I do next to stop the dripping? I know tightening too much on copper can cause its own problems, but I'm not experienced in lead.

Thanks in advance for you help. :)

Sponsored Links
Stopping leadlocks from dripping comes with experience. Often they do need really 'nipping' up to get a watertight seal. I suppose the problem now is that you cant disconnect it and use some ptfe on the threads.

I now always carry a couple of Philmac transitional couplers on the van. A little bit more expensive than a leadlock but i've never had one leak.

Thanks undercover, I might do that for future use.

I've tightened up this lead lock quite a lot. Is there any danger in 'nipping it up' too far, as there is with copper?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can overtighten them. So its a little bit at a time. If the leak seems to get worse then you are crushing the lead.

Your local waterboard should be called to replace the outside stopcock.

I'm sure I've put it on right.

The water board have been out, but it took a few weeks. The cheap-looking, plasticky tap they put in doesn't seem to be working and I can't really wait another few weeks for them to come and look at it.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back