stop tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
internal stop tap from mains supply is leaking. I have tried to tighten but still slowly leaking... what can i do.. the tap is fitted to an old lead pipe.. any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Or freeze it.
If its the gland seal leaking, undo the nut completely, dig out whatever comes out easily, wrap twisted (so string-like) ptfe tape into the space where the nut was and do up the nut

kevplumb said:
turn off the supply outside and replace it :idea:

Not many plumbers can wipe a joint nowadays, let alone an diy man/woman

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need to wipe a joint, they usually have a brass ferrel wiped in, to make the connection to the stopcock, should just be a straight swap

ChrisR said:
Or freeze it.
If its the gland seal leaking, undo the nut completely, dig out whatever comes out easily, wrap twisted (so string-like) ptfe tape into the space where the nut was and do up the nut
Don't forget if you are replacing the packing gland with plumbers hessian/string or twisted PTFE,wrap it around the spindle anti-clockwise.
Jim Whittaker
AKA "The Friendly Plumber"

silverback said:
You wouldn't need to wipe a joint, they usually have a brass ferrel wiped in, to make the connection to the stopcock, should just be a straight swap

Got to think some more on this, from memory all the lead stopcocks were wiped straight into the lead.

Cap and linings were used as tap connectors, and I can honestly say I've wiped thousands of them :cry: :cry:

JIm - I do it clockwise!

It seems to me most old stop cocks have an extended tail to wipe onto.
If you can hold the lead still and unscrew the valve parts you can sometimes refurb , or replace with the bits from a British made SC which has female threads on. With luck the threads are the same.

Thats how I remember them as well Chris, also getting them in bits can be a nightmare, (cant use heat)

I would not be comfortable trying unless the outside SC was holding.

Far better to fit another valve and leave the old one in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back