mains stop tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help. I need to turn the mains water off in my house. I have located what I believe to be the mains stop tap but am not sure. It is a capped upright pipe with a tap near the top. Is this a mains tap?

Also - its proving impossible to shut off. Seized. Any suggestions other than wd-40 which I've tried.

I've attached a pic.....

[/url]

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I hope someone can help. I need to turn the mains water off in my house. I have located what I believe to be the mains stop tap but am not sure. It is a capped upright pipe with a tap near the top. Is this a mains tap?

Also - its proving impossible to shut off. Seized. Any suggestions other than wd-40 which I've tried?

if its capped it aint serving anything ;)

Hi Kev - That's what I thought - makes sense. Every other tap is just an isolation one and I cant locate the mains.

That looks like a Gas tap to me. Water mains might be close to the kitchen sink or if you have an understairs space accessed from outside. They have been known to not even have one inside the property and have to turn off in the road but less common nowadays.

Sponsored Links
Hi Kev - That's what I thought - makes sense. Every other tap is just an isolation one and I cant locate the mains.

My neighbour, three doors up had a flood due to a burst pipe, and couldn't find the stopcock anywhere.

It turned out to be under a wooden panel, under a carpet, just inside the front door.

It's likely to be a case of following the pipework back and seeing where it goes. Asking you neighbours might help too.

That looks like a Gas tap to me. Water mains might be close to the kitchen sink or if you have an understairs space accessed from outside. They have been known to not even have one inside the property and have to turn off in the road but less common nowadays.

Ok that makes sense as I think the previous owner used gas. If thats the case then I'm pretty sure the mains tap is not in the house. It is quite an old house so could be in the road.

Thanks for the swiftest replies ever!

My neighbour, three doors up had a flood due to a burst pipe, and couldn't find the stopcock anywhere.

It turned out to be under a wooden panel, under a carpet, just inside the front door.

It's likely to be a case of following the pipework back and seeing where it goes. Asking you neighbours might help too.

I did a job last year, when I asked the owner where the stop tap was he removed a piece of skirting board in the front room & it was behind that. If he ever moves house without telling the new owner then god help them trying to find that one. :confused:

the valve you have shown is definately a gas isolation valve so it is unlikely to be used for water and as it is blanked opening/closing it wont do anything, you need to start tracing the pipework back to find the valve

had a stop tap in one house that was in a cavity wall. just under the window and just enough reach to get into the cavity.if the window ledge was sealed youd be stuffed.

That valve is a plug valve and almost definitely gas and is already closed. Do not use any more WD40 on it and leave it in the closed position.

Thanks to all for the advice. I will trace the pipework back tomorrow. I'm hoping it's not in the cavity :(

As previously mentioned check by the front door. It was common practice on older properties to have them under a hatch just inside the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back