Changing a hot tap. ROLYAT RR4 in the loft.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change a hot water tap in the bathroom. The drain tap and stop tap on my ROLYAT RR4 are seized solid.

Can I just shut the cold water supply mains tap (not seized) and open all hot water taps to drain the tank (or at least drain the feed to the hot water tap in the bathroom so that I can replace it), please? Or will this damage the ROLYAT?

Sponsored Links
Magic! Many thanks kevplumb! :D

Another question - a friend has suggested I replace the hot water supply gate valve, which is seized solid at present. Will draining the hot water via the bathroom tap be enough to let me replace the gate valve in the loft, please?

He's also suggested I replace the hot water tank drain, which is seized, but I don't see how I can. Does draining via the bathroom tap completely empty the tank? Otherwise, I'm going to get leakge when I remove the drain tap, I reckon.

Another question - a friend has suggested I replace the hot water supply gate valve, which is seized solid at present. Will draining the hot water via the bathroom tap be enough to let me replace the gate valve in the loft, please?

yes though a full bore lever valve might be a better option

He's also suggested I replace the hot water tank drain, which is seized, but I don't see how I can. Does draining via the bathroom tap completely empty the tank? Otherwise, I'm going to get leakge when I remove the drain tap, I reckon.

no draining via a tap leaves the tank full

easiest way to drain it is a long hose and syphon it out :idea:

Sponsored Links
He's also suggested I replace the hot water tank drain, which is seized, but I don't see how I can. Does draining via the bathroom tap completely empty the tank? Otherwise, I'm going to get leakge when I remove the drain tap, I reckon.[/quote]

Leakage, LOL. it'll be a flood! There really is no point in risking damage to the rolyat. The only time you'll need to drain it is when you ditch it.

The pipe to the hot water taps that comes out the bottom of a rolyat actually rises about 6 inches within the tank so when the water stops coming out the tap the tank is not actually empty.
To empty it proper its a hose over the top and syphon it out.

Quite funny when you hear of people removing immersion heaters thinking its empty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back