Hot water system problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour has an old Rolyat hot water cylinder in her upstairs airing cupboard. It must date back to the 50’s. It is like a cuboid primatic cylinder with a water tank fitted to the top. It is now heated by immersion but originally was heated by a back boiler. The back boiler has been decommissioned and enclosed in the chimney stack – hopefully cut off from the gas supply as it seems the gas board did it way back when.

The 28mm pipes are still in situ leading from the side of the chimney stack through the kitchen and landing to the underneath of the Rolyat.

She wants a new kitchen and the pipes removing. However undoing the drain point of these pipes showed they are still live and connected to the Rolyat (and presumably the old back boiler) as the whole hot water system drained. Therefore I assume these pipes actually still vent out to the Rolyat when they are background heated.

I know most people would scrap the whole lot or donate it to a museum but it seems money is really tight. The problem is how can they be safely removed? I’m thinking capped immediately below the Rolyat and cut and left open ended at the side of the chimney stack shouldn't cause any venting problems but I’d welcome other thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back