External Stop tap, Plumber not able to turn off external stop tap and Yorkshire Water won't help

Sponsored Links
Thanks Opps, there did seem to be more than a trickle even when the internal stopcock was closed. It's one of those circular, steering wheel type stoppers. Plumber said something about it working on gravity?

Bit late now to help you but had a similar problem last year with an outside tap that had failed, was leaking moderately (a litre every hour or so) and causing damp in the wall it was mounted on, street stoptap was buried (looks like someone washed a concrete truck out nearby). Messaged Northumbrian water (emphasising the possible 3rd party property damage), they came out 2 days later & sorted the street stoptap. No charge.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Opps, there did seem to be more than a trickle even when the internal stopcock was closed. It's one of those circular, steering wheel type stoppers. Plumber said something about it working on gravity?

That sounds like a gate valve and not a mains stopcock.

A plumber can chime in, but I do not believe that they should be used for mains pressure water.

Here are pictures of what I thought was the internal stop tap & the outside meter/stop tap. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20231113_130857.jpg
    IMG_20231113_130857.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20231116_094454.jpg
    IMG_20231116_094454.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 92
1. Looks like lead incoming pipe with a piece of copper sweated into it.
2. If that's the case I wouldn't freeze within a foot of the lead for fear of damaging that joint.
3. It is no longer permitted to sweat lead onto copper.
4. In any case, that would lead to a leak which, if the external stopcock isn't working, would be unstoppable.

Thank you everyone for your help. Hoping the plumber who is coming tomorrow can turn off the external stop tap! Not sure what plan B will be after Oldbuffer's analysis, but trying not to think about it until I need to . Can't believe that Yorkshire Water are able to wash their hands of their side of the pipe network.

That looks rather like one of Yorkshire water 'lift up' stop taps.
Bloody awful things regularly don't work they used to replace them under current system God knows !

Thank you everyone for all your help. A very lovely plumber came this morning and managed to turn off the external stop tap. We are now the proud owners of a new proper internal stop tap and a new kitchen tap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back