how easy would it be to stain a veneered MDF cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finishing off our bathroom, and at the beginning of the project we ordered everything (units/sink/toilet) as times has gone on and we've started to fit everything we have now noticed that the wall cabinet is a lot light type of Oak veneer than the rest of the units ( not brought from the same company/make) ( now because we're 3 months in we can't return the cabinet ( + we like the cabinet and would like to use it)
How easily will it be to stain/paint it to match the other items in the room?

what would you suggest to use?

http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/homeware/bathroom/10/8
I have 2 items from this.

http://www.hib.co.uk/images/products/19c8f60c1d493ea0cbcab2dc62187e1e1. Forli.jpg
This is the item we want to change.

it doesn't look like there's that much of a difference but the mirrored cabinet is allot lighter..

Sponsored Links
Youl need to rub it down and prime it first with a 'grip' primer

Thanks for the reply..

rub it down even if it's a veneer? i mean won't that just remove the veneer down to the mdf?

Thanks for the reply..

rub it down even if it's a veneer? i mean won't that just remove the veneer down to the mdf?

No...just rub it down lightly with a fine grade paper such as 320 grade wet and dry or fine finishing paper. Its just to get a 'key' for the grip primer to bite to

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks i will do, please forgive me for being dumb here, but after i've rubbed it down and added primer, what should i use to best colour match the wood colour? A stain/ Varnish? or other?

i'm trying to match the stuff in the next link i posted earlier..

No a stain/varnish will look awful over grip primer which is white..youll have to use an opaque paint.

Go to a trade centre and have a look at their wide range of colours that are mixed special

You could take the chance of just lightly rubbing it down and applying a coloured varnish/stain to try to match the colour in but personally I dont think it will take over the existing surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back