How far can i drill into chimney breast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm going to put up some shelving in our second bedroom in the chimney breast alcove. rather than using floating shelves i was going to fix battens to the 3 sides of the alcove. Is it safe to attach a batten to the side of chimney breast. The chimney is used for a woodburner and doesnt have a liner. Can i drill far enough in for wall plug and screw or should i look at another method?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, unless you are crazy with the drill. You only need an inch bite for the screws/plugs.

generally the breast upstairs will be split into two, one is the run from downstairs the other is the run for the upstairs fireplace (if you have one). So half of the breast will be redundant and at least a brick deep.

If you are really paranoid you could do it and then smoke test it. You should really clean and check your breast yearly :eek:

Yes you can, unless you are crazy with the drill. You only need an inch bite for the screws/plugs.

generally the breast upstairs will be split into two, one is the run from downstairs the other is the run for the upstairs fireplace (if you have one). So half of the breast will be redundant and at least a brick deep.

If you are really paranoid you could do it and then smoke test it. You should really clean and check your breast yearly :eek:

Thanks for that, ill make sure i don't drill more than half a bricks width in and i'm sure it'll be alight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back