how far does your projector have to be from screen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
or does it differ from make to make?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes.

It also varies from model to model within each manufacturers ranges. You need to have a look at the spec sheet for the model you intend to purchase

It varies considerably from brand to brand but most domestic projectors have a zoom lens which gives a range of throw distances. The link posted by 27neth gives the figures for most of the common models. For best performance, you should aim to avoid using the extremes of the zoom lens and try to site the projector so that you're using the lens somewhere near the centre of its range.

If you want detailed advice on choosing & setting up projectors, take a look at the projector forums over on AV Forums:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/

There's a chap there also called GaryB who I know well :)

Sponsored Links
reason i ask is i am boarding my new ceiling soon and need to reinforce the area where the proj will hang.

can u give me a guesstimate and ill just make sure theres wood there to attach to

cheers

Have you not been paying attention? They all vary, from a few feet to 20 feet or so, depends on the projector. When I chose mine I knew where I wanted to locate it on the ceiling and used that as one of the parameters when making my final choice. There are so many out there you're unlikely to have a problem unless you go to extremes. Mine is stuck above my head so that you can't see it unless you look up, about 10 ft from the screen, depends on the size of your room though.

You cant really guess, just put a row of 4x2 noggings along your ceiling from about 3 metres to the end of the wall.

John...

It also varies with screen size. The bigger the screen the further the distance.

How about these - 8ft from screen for 10ft horizontal. These wererigged in Greece by the local supplier, hence use of trestle tables as stands. Would that look good in your house :)

As others have said, it all depends on the make and model of projector, the lens (esp. if they cannot be swapped out), the lumens, the resolution and the screen size.

Is there a good design for a projector mount that can be moved around but does not get in the way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back