How frequently should a boiler typically light?

P

pna

My boiler (Glowworn Micron 80FF) seems to be lighting very frequently - lights and runs for anywhere between 1 to 15 minutes (less as house gets warm) and then switches off for 3-5 minutes before lighting again.

Is this normal for a modern boiler? In my old house house, the heating was off for at least an hour or two between firing.

Any thoughts as to how to solve?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Low water content boiler = heats and cools quickly = cycles on and off frequently.

If the boiler is cycling on and off frequently while the house is still warming up (room thermostat calling for heat), you may be trying to drive it too hard. Back off the boiler temperature control a bit.

If it carries on cycling with the house warm and NO calls for heat, you've got a wiring problem or a broken motorised valve.

It sounds like the boiler is beating the system. That is it is producing heat as it should but the heat has now where to go, so it the water jacket gets up it's temperture setting within a couple of mins then switches off. And continues to cylcle all day.
I have come across this when there is no room stat installed, just relying on rad stats which can shut down the flow of COOLING water to the boiler.
And/or being tweeked by the resident.
My advice would be to get back to basics. Open all rad stats. Check the in and out water temp' of each one, say about 10 F diferential. Definately have a room stat. but not in a room with a rad stat otherewise they fight each other! A room stat is usualy put in the hallway as it averages out the ambient air temp' then tweek the lockshields for the desired confort zones.
You will gather that I do not like rad' stats' to problematic.
What would hapen if you stopped the water going to your car radiator :oops: All IMHO Flouder

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I may well have the boiler temperature control set too high - I have been suffering with the boiler needing to be reset every other day due to it not lighting and have not been too careful on how high I set the control.

How would I assess if I have a wiring problem or broken motorised valve?

As to the other points, I have a thermostat in the hallway, most of the downstairs rads have TRVs but the upstairs ones do not - I have most of the normal rads fully open, so I think the heat always has somewhere to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back