how hard to replace heat exchanger eurocombi a23

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Anybody know how hard it would be to replace the main and/or the secondary heat exchanger on a eurocombi a23 MMFi.

My hot water has cooled slightly over the last couple of years and my boiler started making a few rumbly whining noises until i put some cleaner/ inhibitor/ noise reducer in the CH system.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
It is not a terribly hard job.

But the main HE needs to be removed by a gas reg person.

Anyone can remove the secondary heat exchanger but normal skills with pressurised water carrying parts is obviously needed.

Tony

Could be the pump starting to go.
If it is heating the house ok more likely to just be the plate heat exchanger.
These boilers aren't particularly easy to work on.
And almost impossible if you don't have access to left and right of the boiler.

Could be the diverter valves as I've serviced a couple the valves.
Again a bitch to do.

Sponsored Links
That's odd.

I find them just like any other common boiler of that vintage and reasonably easy to work on.

Water leaks on plastic bits annoying though and sometimes screws can get jammed.

Tony

Thanks for the info guys.

The reason i ask is that the boiler has started making a slight squeak every 10 secs or so when heating on and a noise that can only be described as an plane going overhead when hot water running for more than about 20 seconds (not too noisy but i envisage it getting louder) + a thud when hot water turned off (again not loud).
Heating working fine otherwise but hot water has got a little cooler this winter.

If it is heat exchanger do you guys think main or secondary?

Sounds like multiple faults!

Probably includes problem associated with main heat exchanger.

But needs a gas reg person to deal with those!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back