How high can an internal single leaf 100mm block on edge wall go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a wall that is roughly + shaped, the north south wall is approx 12m in total, so 6m per "leg", and the east west wall is 20m long (10m per leg). The 10m legs are 3m high (and will bear load of a floor deck/storage), and the 6m legs are 5m high (not load bearing).

These walls are being built internally and are not subject to wind / side loads, nor do they have any retaining or insulating purpose, it's just to divide a clear space into sections (with doorways), with storage on top of a deck that rests on the shorter walls

I've attached a sketch, just wondering how these walls can b constructed with regards to block on edge, block on flat or tied cavity?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
A 100mm block wall can be up to 3.5m high for a maximum length of 12m. Don't underestimate internal air movement though. Air moving through buildings can apply considerable load on internal walls and it's not unknown the them to go over. If the ends of your walls are restrained to external walls your particular arrangement looks ok though.

Looks like I should perhaps go for block on edge for the long ones (they'll be restrained on top, bottom, and both ends) and block on flat for the tall one (it too is restrained at both ends, but not at the top).. I think block on flat consumes the same number of blocks as a cavity wall, but doesn't waste as much space. Not that 4 inches matters..

Gonna need some more blocks! Cheers jeds

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
just thought of a follow up question..

Which would you say blocks more noise, a block on flat wall or a cavity wall? (For standard 3.6kn dense concrete blocks, 100x215x440)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back