How is water seperate for central heating and hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a stupid easy question but not an expert at this so would like to know.

How is the water in a Y plan with a 3 valve motorised port seperated between central heating water and normal hot water in the tank?

Reason I'm asking is I'm going to put some X100 in this week, I know the water doesnt mix but how does it heat up the water seperately?

Is it the water in the boiler is the same as central heating water and theres like a coil in the hot water tank so the water the boiler doesnt actually go in the hot water tank directly?

Just confused lol

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Is it the water in the boiler is the same as central heating water and theres like a coil in the hot water tank so the water the boiler doesnt actually go in the hot water tank directly?

Thanks!

I think that explains it.

The cylinders are called "indirect" which gives you a clue!

Tony

Spot on

Yes, the water from the boiler goes through the cylinder in a coil so it heats the "hot water" through conduction through that coil. The nasty boiler water never touches the clean hot water (in theory!). Just be sure to add the X100 to the correct header tank (the small one) if you do it that way.

Sponsored Links
Just be sure to add the X100 to the correct header tank (the small one) if you do it that way.

Yep i know which one to use.

I'll probably get the 1 litre X100, do i just drain the same amount (tied ball joint up) or more litres from the last rad in the house then empty x100 in the small tank?

Would this cause any air lock? i can bleed the rads of course

Thanks for the answers guys, just had one of those 'blonde' moments :oops:

At this point it could be an idea to have a look inside the header tank, and if there's a load of gunge in the bottom, now is a good time to shift it with a wet vac.
After that, its in with the inhibitor.
The trouble is, there's limited water exchange between the rads and the header tank so I prefer to inject the inhibitor (I use Fernox F1) directly into a radiator if possible.
John :)

I dont have a towel rail, is it still possible with normal radiators?

i'll check the header tank later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back