how level does screed need to be for wooden floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put down some levelling compound in the tiny downstairs loo last night in preparation for laying new wooden flooring.

the result is much better than it was but still not 100% flat.

how level does it really need to be before laying wooden floor?

Id say there is about 3mm between highest and lowest points but its generally quite flat!

I have purchased underlay and 'solid wood' flooring already.

should i leave it as is and hope the underlay will account for differences or should i apply a 2nd, maybe thinner layer of the levelling compound (no nonsense pro 50 compound from screwfix).

Sponsored Links
technically you should probably put another layer down, why are you floating a solid floor? It should be directly glued to the screed/subfloor.

In a small area it may not matter quite so much but solid floors floated tend to move alot.

I didn't know you should glue solid wood to the concrete. Doesn't that mean that you don't get the noise, comfort and warmth benefits of an underlay?

It is only a tiny cloakroom approx 1.3 Sqm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back