How long before I can instal upvc windows

Sponsored Links
I appreciate the input of course, but can't understand why there would be any great strain on the pier. It would definitely need to be fastened to the main structure mechanically, but that doesn't make it a "bad job" It is 2 sides of 8, 6 of which are mechanically fastened to the main structure of the house. Once the remaining two sides of the window units are fastened to the pier I would have thought that there would even be some mutual bracing occuring. But then, if I knew for sure I wouldn't be asking you guy's.
If you are convinced it is a bad idea I will call the council and ask the question. Thanks again for your input.

@op; I understand what you're getting at, but the basis of the design of brickwork is that the structure around an opening should be independent of any door or window frames (ie the brickwork should be restraining and supporting the frames, not the other way round).
Having said that, if you're satisfied that everything is securely fixed, it's obviously your call - just don't involve Building Control;)

I don't want to risk anybody getting hurt now or in the future. Would another pier of bricks directly behind (on the next skin) with ties between them negate the issues?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need a proper design due to your requirements, it's not really a negotiating process of what to do, you have to get a design from someone who knows about structural matters. Tony is one such person but his advice is kindly given for free, perhaps if you have the money you can get someone onsite who can look in more detail.

As another thought, we had a pair of composite windows fitted which were effectively in the same opening. Because this was allowed by the window company, it was classed as one opening. The frame is such that you could have a stud wall just about in the joint. I think the company do timber packers to deal with special requirements. Our windows are ALU clad timber.
You could enquire with the window manufacturer whether they can suggest a suitable system.

Looking at your type of window I can see how that would work. When I asked the UPVC window manufacturer (they have to match my existing windows) they asked me for a drawing as there was nothing off the shelf. I don't want the front of the house to look odd because of an unbalanced division. I can also imagine there being a dodgy looking reveal on the inside, either side of the stud wall.
Because of Tony's input, I am happy now that a single pier (I hope that I am using the correct terminology) would not be good enough, but I also see how two piers mechanically connected to each other and both skins of the main structure of the house, will be safe. So, thanks to everybody for your input, without which I wouldn't have got my head around it.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back