Dividing existing upvc window into two separate windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I have an existing upvc window that is wider than an en-suite that I want to build. roughly 2/3 of it (1500mm) would be inside the en-suite, divided by the stud wall that I wish to erect.
I would like the neatest way to divide the aperture leaving me with a window inside and outside of the en-suite. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
probably the easiest is to build your partition wall as if the window wasn't there (ie from the wall above the window to the wall below)
then add a thin sheet or ply/upvc profiled to the gap in the window ledge.

Noise transmission might be an issue.

without knowing the pattern or the openings and layout it's speculation

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately if I am reading it right, the front elevation would have an exposed stud wall between the window frames. On reflection, it could only be bricks to match the existing brickwork, or upvc to match the window frames. Not sure if such a thing exists though....anybody?

A photo would help
My family home was built with Metal window frames and when a shower was installed in the bathroom the left hand opener was boxed in and the boxing tiled over. This allowed an enclosure in the space. Pretty sure that the space behind was painted black.

Presumably the window will be obscured glass?

It may well be easier to change the window for two units and have a divider between them built in
My downstairs loo and utility was built with 2 identical wooden windows and a 4" bit of timber between them on the outside. This matched the wall inside
Later they were replaced with UPVC and a similar packer was fitted

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I asked a upvc company about a fitted divider between the two windows. He said that it was hard to imagine and could I supply a drawing. So that tells me that there is probably no, off the shelf solution. Which leaves the bricks. Just wanted to explore my options. Cheers Tigercubrider.

It is possible to get a pvc divider, but would require a complete new window being manufactured with a Mullion ( or maybe two and a small flat panel ) where your new internal wall will fit. Best solution I can think of is to build your stud wall ( or mark it's position on the existing window ( and then get a piece of white pvc flatboard the right width as your new wall, and adhere this to either the visible end of your new wall, or carefully to the existing window beads, and then a line of silicone round it so the adhesive isn't overly visible from outside. Your biggest problem will be if you ever need to replace that pane of glass for any reason...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back