How long does it take to swap bath taps with shower tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would try and do it myself, but my mum won't trust me with it,

I hear its pretty easy and it can be done in about 10 minutes?
I also watched youtube videos and it seems pretty simple,

I'm trying to look for a cheap Plumber, but its very hard to find, some say £45-50 every half hour plus VAT and Materials, thats too expensive for a simple and easy job, I don't think any pipe work is needed, just to turn off mains, unscrew, take out old one, put in new one, screw pipes back on where it was, a kid can do it!

more like 4 minutes?

4 Minutes for £50 + VAT and materials? Wow,

I called one plumber who reckons it might take an hour to do the job.

Sponsored Links
probs about 4mins-1hour.

Depends on

how easy access to taps is (bath panels, sink in the way etc)

How easy the nuts come off the old taps (I have had to saw them off before look for red putty)

If the pipework leak free

So in conclusion if it is a plastic bath panel thats not held on with screws and the taps are on with plastic back nuts and clean threads and the pipe work is flexis = 4-10mins

If the bath is right against a sink with a tiled bath panel and red paste all over the back nuts and the pipework is all done with leaky compression nuts = 2-3hours

probs about 4mins-1hour.

Depends on

how easy access to taps is (bath panels, sink in the way etc)

How easy the nuts come off the old taps (I have had to saw them off before look for red putty)

If the pipework leak free

So in conclusion if it is a plastic bath panel thats not held on with screws and the taps are on with plastic back nuts and clean threads and the pipe work is flexis = 4-10mins

If the bath is right against a sink with a tiled bath panel and red paste all over the back nuts and the pipework is all done with leaky compression nuts = 2-3hours

The bath pannel is screwed on, but can be easily taken off,

Do I still have to pay them £50?

I hear its pretty easy and it can be done in about 10 minutes?
I also watched youtube videos and it seems pretty simple,

I'm trying to look for a cheap Plumber, but its very hard to find, some say £45-50 every half hour plus VAT and Materials, thats too expensive for a simple and easy job, I don't think any pipe work is needed, just to turn off mains, unscrew, take out old one, put in new one, screw pipes back on where it was, a kid can do it!

more like 4 minutes?

4 Minutes for £50 + VAT and materials? Wow,

I called one plumber who reckons it might take an hour to do the job.

Seriously! :mrgreen: :?:

a kid can do it!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes it can be a simple job.

It can also be a total pain in the harris - especially when there is a customer like you lurking in the background.

How do you think the plumber gets to your house?

How do you think you contacted him?

How do you think he equipped himself to do the job?

How do you think he has insured himself against a mishap with your job?

Now run along and ask mummy.

Jesus my blood is boiling.

Sponsored Links
Def a windup as no one can be this stupid

Mummy doesn't trust you to do it? Blimey, so much for parental support.

The actual tap changing part of the process only involves undoing 4 nuts, changing 2 washers and re-doing the 4 nuts. Access is the main cause of problems with bath tap replacement.

Cut the apron strings - give it a go.

BTW, £50 is cheap!

Once had to change a pair of bath pillar taps. End of the bath was not against the wall, panel had rotted to nothing.

Water was easily turned off by the front door.

Would the old taps come off?

Well, they did eventually with the use of a lump hammer.

Never did find out what they had been stuck on with. :mrgreen:

Try it.....We all have to learn. If it works out then enjoy the satisfied feeling. If not you can call out a plumber who will not charge much more to take the job over, and you can watch and learn with an embarrassed face Mum may have to foot the bill for retiling, new bath and flood. So have you got the b**ls?

You can almost guarantee that someone who charges by the half hour will manage to stretch into the 2nd or even 3rd half by a minute or 2! It's not a difficult job , take your time and do it yourself. BTW my folks had kitchen taps fitted by a plumber a few years ago, just the other day the pushfit they used popped off and water was gushing! Luckily they were in at the time! I assume they used push fit due to access being difficult. Also they have an outside tap that was stuck off, I wondered why there was lots of PTFE tape on it and found that they had soldered the tail in place before fitting the tap body with the result that without tape to pack it out the tap was upside down when fitted! So in some ways, because its very difficult to truly gauge how good a pro from yellow pages is, you can sometimes be better off learning to do it yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back