How long does loft insulation last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve noticed that my loft's insulation looks very dirty and flat. It was done in the mid-90s

Would it be a benefit if I replaced the old stuff?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't wear out, but old stuff was thin.

The old yellow fibreglass is very bad for shedding irritant dust and fibres. If, like me, you are badly affected by it, I would don a good mask and bag it up, clean up the loft with a canister vac, and replace with (much thicker) modern mineral wool treated with Ecose.

Unfelted lofts are also very dirty because they accumulate dust and grit. Old ones are worst because they may have many years of pollution from coal and wood fires and factory chimneys.

Once it is clean enough to work in, consider improving the lighting (very easy in a loft where you can see the cables, and often some junction boxes, from the rooms below. Unless the joists are very deep, you will benefit from adding counterbattens, which you can lay a second layer of insulation between, and boards on top to walk on safely. I used decking timbers, which are cheap, readily available, and pre-treated with preservative. When screwed down (don't use nails) this adds rigidity and spreads the load.

If it gets dirty again, it is very easy to hoover a flat boarded floor. If your roof is renewed, using felt or modern breathing membrane, it will not get dirty.

Latest phone scam doing the rounds is - "the Government recommends that your loft insulation is inspected every two or three years, and we can provide this service to you". I didn't wait long enough to see what they wanted to charge for this nonsense.

Sponsored Links
I was going to get a company to do it as I’m too old be crawling around in my loft

But as you state, I’d never use a cold caller!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back