Loft insulation, Victorian terrace, benefit ground floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We live in a Victorian terrace (divided into upstairs/downstairs flats, purpose built) that currently has no roof/loft insulation and virtually none between the ground floor and first floor. Would adding loft insulation make a noticeable difference to the ground floor?

Bascially, if the upper flat adds decent loft insulation I am wondering if there would be a noticeable benefit to the ground floor flat.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will benefit, though the benefit will be small and physically hard to notice, it depends on how poor the first floor insulation is, what is "virtually none"?

Are you asking the question because the cost has to be shared (roof spaces in flats are typically considered communal).

If that's the case, from my own experience, and it may vary depending on your leasehold agreement, it's a case of "tough poo", don't like it, don't by a flat, sorry if that sounds harsh.

But you can buy insulation from as little as £3 pounds a roll, so it only because expensive if you get someone in to do it.

I doubt you will notice any difference. Probably all that will happen will be that 'them upstairs' will turn their heating down to maintain a similar temperature, but with lower fuel bills. That won't help you.
If they did decide to have their rooms a little warmer, the difference in your pad will hardly be noticeable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'm in the upper flat and am going to get loft insulation regardless, but I was wondering of the lower flat would notice any difference (if they did maybe I'd ask for a small contribution).

The 'virtually none' insulation between ground and first floors is that other than the first floor kitchen (which has thick soundproofing insulation between the rafters), there is nothing all (presumably a bit of carpet doesn't count).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back