How long to re-do a kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redoing my kitchen. I have got a builder to give me a quote and he says it will take him 9 days. He has priced the job per day rather then fixed price. However, I wonder if that is too long?

The kitchen size is 3m x 2.5m.

The stuff that needs doing:
1. Remove old kitchen units / lino / sink
2. Floor Tiling with some subfloor work
3. Remove section of plasterboard to fit extra wood to support wall units
3. Fit IKEA Kitchen base and wall units
4. Fit Laminate Worktop x 2
5. Fit new sink
6. Fit Cooker, Hob, Extractor
7. Fit Glass slash back and kitchen wall tiling between wall and base unit.
8. Lighting for under kitchen cabinets and / or base units
9. Electrics: Possibly new kitchen ring. Extra sockets.

I supply materials and arrange for rubbish collection.

Sponsored Links
im a chippy,but with everything else thats got to be done i would say thats probably right.
remember your builder has had to assume everything that has to be done will be done without the murphys cropping up.

he could take longer get a price for the job

does that not mean he will be out of pocket if he comes up on complications?
would you be happy to have your money cut if your job took longer than expected?

Sponsored Links
It works both ways though....he pulls up the floorboards and finds it's rotten OR he gets a measurement wrong cuts in the wrong place and spends the rest of the day making good.

I've always had the approach that the quote should be agreed on a list of reasonable assumptions (as detailed on the contract) and the understanding that anything requiring work above and beyond what has been agreed is put to the customer before it commences for approval. That way then seems fair to both sides.

There's a lot of variables in your Q. To get a clearer idea, will you post what the builder is charging per day - this will make it more clear as to what exactly he is proposing to do, or if and when subbies might come in.

Also be specific as to what is to be stripped out and what made good: details - details because, believe me, thats what the job will stand or fall on.
Notice of variations and inaccessible areas are standard in verbal or written contracts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back