Mildew in kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got mildew spreading inside the kitchen base units that run along an outside wall (the ones on inner walls are OK).

I had damp proofing work carried out when I moved in to the house 7 months ago and fitted the cupboards about 2 months later. Could the mildew be occuring because I didn't leave the wall exposed long enough to dry out? Will it dry out? Could it be anything else causing it? :confused:

Depressed and worried :cry: - I have just finished the kitchen and don't want to have to rip all the units out! Help!

Sponsored Links
Is it near the dishwasher, washing machine or sink :?: Is the back wall damp :?:

condensation :idea: .....kill the mould with a bleach solution....leave cupds open if poss to allow walls to dry

Thanks guys.

Yes the sink and a dishwasher are in the middle of the units. Not sure if wall is damp because it's behind the fitted units. The exposed bits aren't damp and it was brand new damp proofing. I took the plinth off and had a look at the exposed bit under the units. It has a few black spots but doesn't feel wet or look damp. Smells a bit damp though.

Any more thoughts???

Sponsored Links
As Nigel pointed out, it's most likely to be condensation, could be the heat moistures from the dishwasher or there's a leak from the sink area.

Either clean more often or ventilate more to keep the area dry.

Is the outside wall in good condition?

The rendering on the outside wall is flaky, but it was like that when we bought the house last year before we had the damp proofing done and it hasn't got any worse. The outside wall is otherwise in good condition. No cracks, no damp patches. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back