Can someone help me identify this damp please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a property where there appears to be a build up of mildew on the inside plastered and painted walls, the walls are being wiped down, however these marks come back over time. The first image is in the outside corner of a bedroom with single rad and to small windows and one large window. There is an air brick installed.

DSC04150.jpg

The wall is solid stone - no cavity.

DSC04151.jpg

In the second image, this shows the mildew on a joining wall with next door, this is not on an external wall.

Lastly is the outside front (which is brick) that has the following on the inside:

DSC04152.jpg

the rear elevation has been re-pointed and it seemed to be better with the previous tennants in the house, there seems to be a lot more build up of damp/condensation/mildew in the house since the new tenants moved in. Does anyone have any advice they could give please as I don't wan to just paint over whats there, I would like to sort the issue out......

Any help is most appreciated guys.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Your first pic is condensation.
The next two pics could be from a roof/eaves leak, or condensation above the ceiling.
Given a solid wall (s) possibly all down to condensation.

Perhaps post pics of the exterior.

If you research recent posts there is a mass of info. ref similar difficulties.

With respect, i've just pointed out the way forward - how can i answer your question if i dont know what "sort of property" it is?

Sponsored Links
Fair point Dan, I will post some pictures of the outside in the morning, but it is stone on the back side (first pic) and between the houses and brick on the front in the last picture on the outside.

Fair enough though I'll post a couple of shots when I can find them. Thanks for the help so far.

This photo shows the back of the house, where the arrow points this is the wall affected. I have had the house back where the stone is re-pointed.

Holbrook1.jpg

The next image shows the front elevation of the house, again the arrow points the the room that is affected.

Holbrook2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Thanks for the pics:

1. Pic 1. is a classic pattern of condensation in a classic location.
A solution might be to use an interior insulation - research this method ( and condensation issues ) on here.
Perhaps strip the plaster, and render the extn walls instead.
Painting and damp solutions are useless. Mild bleach and water will give temporary relief.

2. Pic 2. could be moisture entering from the sand and cement fillet that's been installed, instead of lead flashing, where your roof meets the neighbour's gable wall.
What is happening at that conjunction of rwp's and soil pipes and gutters?
Can you indicate the position of the bathroom?

3. The small wall vent is doing little,
perhaps install another, larger, hit and miss, vent centred on the gable brickwork.

4. The gable brick pointing seems to weaken higher up and at the stack - does the stack have lead flashing?
AAMOI: the lower rough stone, gable, bed courses seem perished and require a lime pointing mix.

5. Are your c/flues redundant or working? When were they last inspected, swept or smoke tested? Do they run up the centre of the gable wall or off-centre?

5. The gable verges should have been pulled out further on asbestos cement fillets.

6. To be more certain of whats going on in your ceiling/eaves areas might involve destructive opening -
up to view below the slate the roof installation. The exposed rafter ceiling indicates possible faulty construction. Research modern pitched roof construction.

7. You have an old stone structure that's been altered and built on, with solid, mixed walls. Without an eyes on view it's difficult to advise clearly. I wouldn't go down the external render route - that could bring further difficulties. Try and work with what you've got, and put the research in.

Just noticed what i'd written in item no 1. The "extn walls" referred to are the inner surfaces in the bedroom of the external walls. It doesn't sound much better - i'm tired and should stop messing about on the computer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back