Single skin brick porch condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a porch that has a single skin dwarf wall. It's then just double glazed pvc right up to the roof. It's basically an extension of the bay window to the corner of the house.

I know single skin brick is prone to condensation but when we get a lot of rain which we have had recently its much worse and starts to develop mildew. I don't think it's penetrating damp. I could be wrong but is it because the brick is sucking moisture from the rain and therefore more prone to condensation. We do open the window to provide ventilation but when it's cold at night we shut it.

I guess the question is would it be benefiticial to paint the outside with stormdry or some kind of water repellent. Would it help? The porch is painted inside with dulux weathershield to make it look nice.

I've read that bricks need to be able to breathe. I think weathershield is breathable?

Sponsored Links
Some kind of vents might help with air circulation, like trickle vents above the windows or similar. Might need various ones in different places to allow air to circulate between them

Yes coat the wall with a water repellant and see how you get on before messing about with ventilation. The pointing must be in good condition. If you use a silicone product, bear in mind its not normally UV stable and needs re-doing every 3-5 years.

I was thinking stormdry? It's like a cream that dries clear isn't it? Will it be OK the brick being painted on the inside as the brick needs be able to breathe doesn't it?

Sponsored Links
Masonry water repellents are not like paint or varnish and do not actually seal the surface, the wall remains breathable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back