single skin porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

ive just had a porch built out of single skin brick, with 3 exsternal walls , the question is whats the best way to finish inside

1. harwall and skim ?

2. scratch coat render and then a top coat ?

its just brick on the out side not renderd
need to save as much space as possible and not worreid about insulaition due to its only a little porch 2m x 1m

any help will do , thanks

Sponsored Links
You might be better to leave exposed brickwork like inside a garage, as the damp will evaporate away easier and not show up as damp patches, which a plastered wall would do.

yes thats what i thought to be onest , just wasnt sure , i new damp was gona be an issue , just the brick inside isnt the same texture as outside , so its a bit of a mess

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t render/plaster a single skin wall. I’ve used Duplex (foil back) plasterboard in porches before;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ.../gyproc_standard/gyproc_wallboard_duplex.aspx
both fixed to battens & directly fixed where there was no room due to an adjacent to a window but that’s not ideal. Alternatively you could use something like this;
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...es/gyproc_thermal/gyproc_thermaline_plus.aspx
Which will give you some insulation & contains an integral vapour control barrier to keep the damp out.

You could try the 'old fashioned' route and use a lime render/plaster and a latex paint or even whitewash to allow the wall to breathe and dry out. It might be best to avoid gypsum plaster or Portland cement products as these inhibit evaporation. You'll need to keep it well ventilated to avoid condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back