Building Porch - hopefully rendered single skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to build a single skin porch out of breeze block only? Obviously up to DPM it will be engineering bricks. The front of the house (up to 1st floor height) is rendered anyway and I need to maximise my internal space of the porch.

At the same time I wish to avoid any internal damp issues. Should I use any particular breeze block e.g. thermalite, celotex etc? Can I render straight to this? Should I render both sides? Sounds crazy but Ive heard of people doing this! Got to be an easier way.

How best should I clad and skim the interior?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add I wish to house a dryer (externally vented) and dishwasher or a washing machine and dryer (not decided on the combo as it all depends on the internal space I end up with hence the importance of single skin) if that affects decisions over internal coverings etc.

Well observed. You can blame baby for the need for extra space. I blame him for having to sell my S3 anyway...

Back to the task in hand - thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can build a porch from single skin breeze block then render.

It will always have condensation related damp issues though, unless you insulate. Any amount will be better than nowt. You could fix 37mm insulated plasterboards to the internal walls but this may not be enough to stave off condensation, particularly during very cold temperatures.

A mechanical extractor would be a boon also.

Cheers Noseall. By mechanical extractor I take it you mean a dehumidifier? Are there 'slim' concrete blocks I could use to create a cavity wall that a) wouldn't decrease significantly the internal dimensions whilst b) avoiding any condensation/damp related issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back