Consequences of not rendering a thermalite block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering not rendering a thermalite breeze block for an outbuilding rather than using dense concrete blocks. It will be single skin block and 50mm insulation on the internal wall and then plasterboard.

Does the block deteriorate if it's not painted or rendered? It will be close to both neighbouring walls (of their outbuilding) and fences so will be hard to do as well.

Sponsored Links
You have to worry about frost resistance and water penetration damaging the building. You could at least clad it with something if you don't want to actually render.

Sponsored Links
Acc blocks are frost resistant due to it's bubbleyness. (That word again!)

I have got some offcuts of Thermalite Turbo blocks that have been in my garden for about 10 years. They are a bit dirty but otherwise as good as the day they were delivered.

Note to self: I really must tidy up my garden.

But foundation blocks are aac and they aren't rendered.
Presumably they're by definition below the dpc, so water penetration isn't an issue. But if he's plaster boarding inside presumably he's intending it to be dry.
I didn't know off hand if thermalite are frost resistant,I was hoping someone who knew would arrive(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back