Single Skin Porch

C

cb9002

Hi

I'm building myself a small porch (external dimensions 2.4m x 1.2m) so want to make it single skin in order to conserve space. I am thinking of construction methods in order to prevent damp. The porch is exempt from planning/building regs.

My plan is...
Engineering brick outer skin with microporous paint (to match house)
Insulated plasterboard laminate on dot/dab or battens to the inside, tape/jointed.

Was thinking of 50mm celotex/pb or gyproc thermaline super or similar, a foil lined product to prevent damp.

Am thinking of engineering brick as I believe its relatively impervious and I can get them for 45p each from my merchant, same price as normal facing bricks.

Has anyone tried this, does it work, any suggestions? Will dot/dab hold, how can I prevent water ingress through the pb fixings or dabs? Was thinking of dpm on the inside brick face, then batten the pb.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
the precautions you are taking to prevent damp related condensation are not without merit and sound sensible.

dabbing a high grade inso' backed board will go a long way in achieving what you're after. this coupled with the engineering bricks sounds about right.

make no bones about it though, a single skin porch will be just that, unless you beef the walls and ceiling up to 'habitable' standard.

i'm afraid there aren't any magic space saving construction methods i'm aware of.

i'm always dubious about poly' membrane and battens as the risk of trapped moisture is likely to rot the battens.

Thats great, thanks.

I think it gives me two options then,

I could use tannalised battens to prevent rot, or

I could dot/dab the boards. Is this possible/advisable on foil backed boards?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back