Boarding a cold porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a small porch which has brick walls (solid 9 inch wall, 2 skins). It is watertight with a PVC door/window frontage.

I'd like to hide the brick work. Whilst not damp in there, it does get cold. Should I just dot and dab normal plasterboard or mechanically fix some, or is there a better way to board it?

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
Dot and dab is fine as long as the surface is sound and not overly damp. If the surface is paint you would need to roughen and apply a primer to the areas where the dabs will fix. Febond Blue Grit or similar product. Otherwise fix mechanically.

Perhaps insulate well then board it, that ought to help deal with the cold more than just boarding it.

Yes, good point. We are talking insulated board here.

Sponsored Links
Use the board with insulation on the back. You can get polystyrene backed which I did in my porch as I didn't want to bring the walls in too much, but if you have the space, you can use the foil lined celotex backed plaster board. I screwed mine into the walls, then filled the holes and painted it without skimming it and it's fine for a DIY job, you wouldn't know it's not skimmed and the made a massive difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back